Youth Advisory Council
When young people participate, a village and everyone involved benefits.
The Youth Advisory Council is an essential part of the Village of Hempstead Initiative. This FCA program encourages young people to serve as decision-makers, while broadening their perspective of the world.
The group works collaboratively with the village trustees and the Mayor of Hempstead. The Council is responsible for developing projects and action plans to improve the Village of Hempstead.
- Students must attend Hempstead High School and be in grades 9-12.
- Hempstead High school teachers, Guidance, Team center, and Deans are encouraged to nominate youth.
- Youth can decide to join themselves or current members can recommend a student.
- The group should reflect students from all areas – i.e. special education, advanced placement students and student athletes.
- Youth must be able to commit time and energy to specific projects and participate in leadership training.
- Members must attend scheduled meetings.
Scholarships: Council members who complete civic responsibilities and who have a financial need are eligible to apply for a Scholarship Fund for college or trade school assistance.