Home Energy Assistance
There’s no reason to suffer without heat in your home during the wintertime.
We help Nassau County seniors and people with disabilities apply for federal home heating grants.
The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) staff helps Nassau County seniors and persons with disabilities apply for federal home heating grants. This is a once-a-year assistance program based on household income.
Each year, benefit amounts and income guidelines are determined by the NY State Office for Temporary and Disability Assistance. The program runs from mid-November until funding is exhausted. Cooling assistance is offered during the summer, based on funding, for income-eligible households with a medical need for air conditioning.
HEAP staff can:
- Assist you with completing the HEAP application
- Provide information about eligibility requirements and benefits
- Advise you of other energy-related programs
- Refer HEAP-eligible households for free weatherization
You may be eligible if:
- You are a Nassau County resident
- You are 60+ years of age, or under 60 and receiving SSI or Social Security Disability
- Your household meets income eligibility requirements
- You are a U.S. citizen or qualified alien
- You are a homeowner or you rent an apartment
- You pay for heat (gas, electric, oil, propane, wood) or your heat is included in your rent
Did you know that:
- You may be eligible to receive up to $700 during harsh winter months?
- Emergency vouchers are available?
- There’s assistance for weatherizing your home and for cleaning boilers?
Call HEAP Hotline (516) 227-7386
60 Charles Lindbergh Blvd., Suite 260
Uniondale, NY 11553
This program is made possible with funds from the Nassau County Department of Human Services’ Office for the Aging, Nassau County Department of Social Services, and the NYS Office for Temporary and Disability Assistance.